Jaguar: Accelerating Towards the World’s Next Green Nickel Project
Centaurus Metals Limited (ASX: CTM) is an Australian-based minerals exploration company focused on the near-term development of the Jaguar Nickel Sulphide Project, located in the world-class Carajás Mineral Province in Northern Brazil – one of the world’s premier mining addresses.
Centaurus completed its acquisition of the Jaguar Project from global mining giant, Vale S.A, in April 2020, delivering the company with an exceptional exploration, growth, and development opportunity in the international nickel sulphide sector.
Following completion of the acquisition, Centaurus immediately commenced a major drilling programme, and has since defined a global Mineral Resource Estimate (MRE) totalling 80.6Mt grading 0.91% Ni for 730,700t of contained nickel.
Centaurus completed a positive independent Base Case Scoping Study for the Jaguar Project development in March 2021 (based on conventional mining and processing to produce nickel concentrate), and completed a Value-Add Scoping Study in May 2021, which contemplated processing the nickel concentrate using a hydrometallurgical process (POx) to produce battery-grade nickel sulphate for the growing electrification supply chain.
The results of the Value-Add Scoping Study provide the company with a high level of confidence that the production of a nickel sulphate product on site at Jaguar is a highly viable option and one that should be aggressively pursued.
Since completing these Scoping Studies, Centaurus has significantly increased the Resource base at the Jaguar Project.
- World-class resource with significant growth potential
- Extremely low carbon footprint
- Targeting production of +20ktpa of nickel in sulphate over 13-year life
- Well-funded with ~A$60M in cash to underpin ongoing DFS and exploration
- Highly experienced team with strong mining and corporate experience
- Well-timed to meet forecast shortfall of Class-1 nickel
- Outstanding project economics and financial returns
- Favourable infrastructure-rich location in Brazil’s Carajas Province
- Developing a globally significant nickel sulphide asset